CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bobbie has decided to ask religous questions...

So my 8 year old is basically looking for the meaning of life ( I think she is a bit early on this?!?) so while asking me questions about different religions I have tried my hardest to find the answers for her, or at least someone who can answer her questions...she talked to a friend of hers that's is a Jehovah's witness and ruled that out almost immediately because of lack of celebrating birthdays and holidays ( hey, while she is very smart she is still part me...lol...) she asked about Catholicism, and ruled that out because she wants to be able to use birth control ( she wants to adopt babies who need a home instead of making new ones ), she then spoke to my friend Taryn about Mormons ( is that the PC term or is it LDS? I don't want to offend, but I am not sure) and so far besides Southern Baptist ( how I grew up) she seems to think that makes the most sense....so on Sunday she is going to church ( I think they call it temple?) with Taryn and her family....When I was telling one of my friends about what was going on, he told me that I should not let Bobbie choose her own religion, that she should be what I am and that she is too young to pick for herself...personally I believe that if she is old enough to ask the questions then she is old enough to get the answers, and to decide for her self... I think as a parent it is my job to encourage her to ask questions and to seek answers from wise people and to make decisions for herself...I am looking for feed back on your thoughts on this, if you agree with me or if you don't tell me and tell me why....this parenting stuff is tricky and I need some input...

4 comments:

~Jessica~ said...

If wanting to invesitgate religion is the worst thing she wishes to inquire about/investigate- then consider yourself blessed... She has an inquiring mind... She is intelligent... To want to know more about fundamental beliefs, and what drives people is not a bad thing. If she comes away from this pursuit of knowledge "belonging" to a new religion- so be it... If she comes away with a better understanding of others- that's great. I think more than anything, she'll also come away with a better understanding of who she is, where she belongs in life, and what her core values are- and I don't see that as a bad thing at all... To know what you believe in~ is a very good thing...

Unknown said...

I say amen to everything jessica said! I too would love to adopt. Both my mom and husband are adopted and are grateful for it. Go Bobbie go!

Cherish said...

She sounds like a very mature girl. Trying to choose a religion and wanting to adopt babies who need homes - wow!

That's a tough decision, whether to force your beliefs on her or let her choose, and not being a parent I really don't know the answer. I guess as long as she is smart enough to really look into it herself, and you are kind of overseeing her activities so she doesn't join some cult, it's a good thing for her.

Pentathalos said...

Hey, if she needs any atheists to talk to. I'm right here. I know a fair bit about agnosticism, and deism too(look into the Jefferson bible). But, I still think converting to Pastafarian would be her best choice.